Saturday, March 14, 2020

Tracking contacts

Recently, I am trying to figure out how to detect topological changes in a gel network as it breaks. In other words, I am tracking contacts as a network is loosing its connectivity.

As the schools and universities are closing, as I am myself practicing social distancing, the irony is not lost on me.

My immediate and regular contacts are my wife and children, my parents and family living in the same city, my colleagues, the members of my akido club, the parents I meet at the bus stop, friends I see for games, and more distantly the people on the market, at the canteen and in public transportation.

This last one is limited to a minimum since I am mostly commuting by bicycle. I won't meet other parents now that schools are closed. Social distancing means for me: not going to aikido (the club will close anyway), moving games online, not meeting my parents and family in person. I will also work from home as much as possible, including avoiding the canteen. The two PhD students I advise are warned and we have ways to communicate online.

We'll get through this responsibly, limiting damage to public health and our research. That said, I'll go back to my network analysis on Monday, with 3 kids at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment